Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep
This temple, constructed in 1383 sit up on a hill overlooking Chiang Mai. Legend has it that a 14th Century monk found a relic from Buddha. The Lanna King, Keu Naone offered to enshrine the relic which was placed on the back of a white elephant, a sacred symbol. The elephant carried the relic up the mountain, stopped on the site where the temple is today and died.. A statue honoring the white elephant was constructed inside the front gate.
To leave a comment, click here.